Sunday, October 17, 2004

Gre report

Well I took my GRE's Saturday morning. It was a long morning. First, I ended up staying up late on Friday to review vocabulary and lasting techniques to know. Of course I was unable to get a good night's rest, worrying about what one test could mean for my academic career. So I arose Saturday morning and prepared myself to depart the house. On my way out I grabbed my token - it was about 7:45pm. I thought to myself - by the time I walk to the train station and wait for the train it may be time to be there. So I decided to drive. I knew parking would be a problem because the longest meters downtown are 3 hour meters. I drove down and I found a "cheap" parking lot that had an early bird special if you were in before 10am.

So I park the car and walk over the testing center. The building where the testing center is located was being painted or fixed so I had to use the entrance on the other side that I came out. Then I walk into the lobby and I need to get the lower level. I see an elevator but there is no down button. I see this other girl and she asks me if I'm taking the GRE's and I tell her yes. Together, we begin looking for a way down. We finally see a map (there is no one to help you on Saturday) that tells us we need the East Elevators. Apparently, we are on the south side. We follow the signs to the East elevator and press the down button. It is not lighting up. We look around for stairs and do not see any. Finally I used the phone by the elevator and asked the person how to get downstairs. They tell me the stairs are located near some phone booths. Simulataneously, the girl sees the stairs. We begin heading down and another lost one joins our crowd.

Upon entering the room I was asked to sign up and fill out some paper. Then I anxiously awaited further instruction. Finally it is my turn. The person goes through the basic verification, takes a picture of me and gives me instructions. Then I go into a quiet room with about 15 cubes, each with it's own computer station. For the next four hours I was one with the computer.

I am happy to report that I did alright. I feel that my essays were pretty strong, and the GRE book that I had used, definitely helped me out. It was one of the greatest feelings in the world to walk out of there and be done with the test.

I then did a girl's favorite thing - shopping. I didn't actually buy anything (too long of a line) but I saw some great sales to go back to later. And I had myself a gordita at Taco Bell. For the rest of the night I read for school. Sunday the choir sings. I sitll have to read my sociology book.

But much thanks be to God because there is no way I could have done as well as I did by myself. Always remember that you didn't get where you are without help. I try not to worry about things because I know they will get done so I just need to keep my focus on doing my best and not worry about the details.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lissa,
    its Pamela, one of your old suitemates of years past. just cruisin through, saw your face in facebook and saw your blog link. I blog here too. hope the GRE went well, I plan to take them next year myself.

    ReplyDelete