Saturday, January 08, 2011

2011: I dare you to Live

Happy New Year!! It is 2011. For some reason I am super excited to be starting a new year. Why is that? I think it's because of all the new things that the flipping of the calendar entices. That the old year is finally behind us and whatever did not get done can be forgotten and we start over.

Take the plunge. To me, 2011 is about trying more things that you've never tried before; to challenge oneself; to possibly walk across your own personal tightrope, 1000 fee up in the air.

2010 was great and I tried a ton of things from oil painting, to building a bridge, to starting a new job, to putting myself out there on the love front, to letting go of things that were not necessarily beneficial to me and to learning how to say no (You can't do everything and go everywhere).

So I was reading Melanie's blog of things she has learned as she is turning 30 and it was a great list. It reminded me of all the knowledge I had picked up in the last year. The life of a twentysomething is very unique. You still get away with acting young and childish, but at the same time you have not yet reached your full potential and you know it. You know that there is a ton out there awaiting you, you just have to go and get it. Well, there's something umm, let's see, "special" about turning 30. It's not like there will be a drumroll and everyone gasp's saying "wow, she's 30," but there is definitely a HUGEEEEEEEE difference between 29 and 30. So us twentysomethings enjoy the fact that we are still young enough to do what we want before this wretched number. Well I'm not 30 yet, no where near it as far as I am concerned, but it is an ever present reminder that now is the time to get things done, to make moves.

There are a ton of things that I plan on working on this year, some of which I choose to keep blogless. One thing I will share, that has been an ever present theme over the last 2 years is about people. I have trouble moving on from people. A friend of mine reminded me that everyone comes into your life for a reason, and not all of these reasons are permanent. There were people that you met that you were meant to be close to in high school, college, grad school, work, social activities, Church, the gym, etc. And perhaps you had a great relationship with them at the time, but things change and it's ok to not have that same relationship when one of you moves on or has a major life change. It makes logical sense, but for some reason this was a very hard idea for me to grasp. I've been holding on to some things or getting mad about them, when really I should just reflect on the good times, appreciate those, and get on with my life. So I will work on doing that in 2011. I simply do not have the energy to spend keeping up with people who are not thinking about me.

The other major goal is to get back into shape. Mainly it's tackling the dreaded middle expansion region we all face as we get older and our metabolism slows down. I don't think I ever went through the Freshman 15 in college. I think I actually lost weight because I didn't have that much time to eat. But, now is the time to get into the best shape of our lives; before marriage and kids ruin your figure forever, lol. (somewhat dramatizing).

I am excited to start a new year because it is the ritualistic cleaning of the chalkboard and starting with a fresh slate. In 2011 I dare you to Live.



Photo Credit: http://www.colinoproperties.com/images/2008/10/tightrope.jpg


4 comments:

  1. Your blog is great. Very interesting. I liked the towing story from a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!!! I'm glad you guys are reading!! Cute that you merged :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like this blog post. we are the same when it comes to people. i find it so so hard to move on from ppl and relationships - even when, yes, its time to move on!

    i like your line about not having the energy to keep up with people who are not thinking about you - it's a tough lesson and a heartbreaking one when you value a friendship, etc. more than the counterpart...but i guess that's life - and we can either moan and go over and over this relationship in our head and wonder why why why it changed...or we can just accept it and go forth.

    it's a tough thing - but i agree 2011 should be the year to move on and up! :)

    will hit you up next time i'm near you - so we can communicate live rather then via blog comments :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jahnavi10:25 PM

    I think you're on point about moving on with life and leaving behind the people who don't keep up with you. And about getting into shape <-- I'm all for it. I just started this Cardio Dance Groove at my gym with this hot instructor and I think i'm going to stay with it. His motivation is making me want to be like him...fit and hot!

    ReplyDelete