Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Civic Duty

I exercised my civic duty today guys. I was so proud walking to the polls to make my voice heard. You heard it - I voted. I have been encouraging my peers to vote because college students are the most underrepresnted bodies when it comes to politics. It is hard to stay abreast of current affairs when you have current midterms and finals but it is nonetheless an important aspect of being part of a society. Yes there are things that are not right within the political realm and so much read tape but it can only be fixed if people try. And it is not just the powerful upperclass that should have a say in what goes on; the middle class and lower class need to have some political input so that they are not just stringing along. So I have hope that things can get better. I have hope that the war will end and our troops will come back. I have hope that when I retire I will be able to use some of that 27% that they have been taking out of my paycheck. And I have hope that the gap between the top upper class and the bottom lower class will decrease (I'm learning about this in my sociology class). We are supposed to be a democracy but it's so capitalistic you really have to wonder which people are being looked out for. So take a stance. "If you do not stand for something, you will fall for anything" (I don't know who said that but it's not my quote).

No comments:

Post a Comment