Thursday, April 16, 2009

Musical Playlist

I love words strewn together. Music, to me, is the poetry of life. It is an ongoing essay, where everyone is independently going through the same hardships, the same feelings, and the same . . .life. As different as we all may be I am fascinated that I can share the sentiment of someone I've never met. So, since I can not seem to get of this rollercoaster of life, I might as well listen to some music while riding.

Here is my latest "musical playlist" story.



One day, you're just minding your business and you meet someone that you did not expect to meet. And maybe they sweep you off your feet.


1. “Sway” Michael Buble
Only you have the magic technique
When we sway I go 'Weeeeeeeeeeee'

Do I go the safe route or do I take a chance on what could be awesome or yet another mistake?

2“I hope you dance” Lee Ann Womack
And when you get the chance to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance.

And maybe they tell you everything that you want to hear, and they are the person that you can confide in

3. "1,2,3,4" Plain White Tees
Tell me that I'm special even when I know I'm not
[…]
Tell me things you never even tell your closest friends

So you give love a chance, hoping that you won't get hurt

4.“L-O-V-E” Nat King Cole
Take my heart and please don't break it

At some point you have to just go for it and either leave your feet planted or jump.

5. “Breathe (2am)” Anna Nalick
‘Cause you can’t jump the track
with line cars on the cable
and life’s like an hour glass
glued to the table

And you may be on the ride of your life. And they seem like everything you could ask for; or close enough.

6. “The Truth” India.Arie
I love the way he speaks
I love the way he thinks
I love the way he treats his mama
I love that gap in between his teeth
I love him in every way that a woman can love a man from personal to universal but most of all its unconditional

Unfortunately, things don't always work out. And you try and try but to no avail.

7. “The Pieces Don’t Fit Anymore” James Morrison
It’s time to surrender
It’s been too long pretending
There’s no use in trying
When the pieces don’t fit anymore

Lying, cheating, stealing; the whole nine yards

8. “My Sweet Song” Toby Lightman
Oh you said love was forever
and you told me told me love would never
Break my heart,
and I believed you as I fell

And maybe you tak a little longer to catch on, but eventually you do.

9. “Irreplaceable” Beyonce
So since I’m not your everything
How about I’ll be nothing

You go through your "woe is me" phase. And then they become less important to you as you realize you deserve so much better

10. “Over it” Katherine McPhee
Because I’m so over
‘I’m sorry’

Of course you are angry, but at some point you just don't have the energy; nor should you waste any additional time, on this chump

11. “I Can’t Hate You Anymore” Nick Lachey
We built it up
To watch it fall
Like we meant nothing at all

But regardless of the outcome, you had to make your mistakes on your own. You have to take the calculated risk, so that you can figure out what you need to do. It IS better to have loved, than to never have loved at all, no matter how much it hurts.

12. “Right to be wrong” Joss Stone
I've got a right to be wrong
Got to sing my own song
I might be singing out of key
But it sure feels good to me

And to be perfectly honest, it's almost better to make your mistakes on the jerks and people not worth it, so that you are all fine-tuned when the real deal shows up

13. “My favorite mistake” Sheryl Crow
You’re my favorite mistake

And then you move on.

14. "Knock You Down" Keri Hilson
Sometimes love comes around
and it knocks you down
Just get back up
when it knocks you down

The ride is a beautiful thing. Even though it gets a little bumpy, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the world. For now, I'm going to stick in line and ride another ride.

Maybe I'll even get one of those fast lane passes one day . . .

4 comments:

  1. i like this line: And to be perfectly honest, it's almost better to make your mistakes on the jerks and people not worth it, so that you are all fine-tuned when the real deal shows up

    optimism is key - i think. =)

    and i agree, it's funny how every song just has so much meaning if you listen to the lyrics.

    it's all relative i suppose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:37 PM

    MYM, that was a pleasant read.
    JGC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:49 PM

    Not a bad entry, and so very true. Music really is the story of life. We'll have to swap playlists sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:10 PM

    This is so true: "regardless of the outcome, you had to make your mistakes on your own."

    As you said, all over the world, people are going through the same emotions. I love the quote from 'Eat, Pray, Love' where the therapist is asked to work with the newly arrived refugees, and, rather than talking about the terrible conditions and associated traumas they have lived through, they are all focused on 'there was this guy who said he loved me, but then he married my cousin instead, but I still love him...' and that kind of thing. When we're suffering, we get so focused on our own problems that we lose sight of the fact that everyone is (has/will) going through the same thing in some form or another. We think we're alone and we're the only one who feels that way, but we never are. That's why we can find so much meaning in the emotions (shared through song lyrics etc) of people we have never met.

    People always try to share their own experiences and learnings with you, to keep you from making the same mistakes. It rarely helps. Often, either you have no idea what they're getting at, or you think you understand but really you don't. And it's only later after you experience it for yourself that you can look back and think 'ah, that's what they meant', and suddenly it all makes sense, and you wish you'd understood it better at the time.
    All of these experiences help us to understand the people around us better, and to understand ourselves. It's often only through figuring out what we don't want and how not to do things that we come to the realization of what we do want, and how we should do things. And it's only through suffering that we can really appreciate the good things, and identify with the suffering of others so as to help them through it too.
    As you said "it's ...better to make your mistakes on the jerks and people not worth it, so that you are all fine-tuned when the real deal shows up".

    The unfortunate twist, though, is that the more you learn, and the better a person you become, the more picky you get and the smaller your pool of options becomes so that finding the 'real-deal' seems to get harder and harder, just at the time when you are most ready for it... Ironic, life is.

    k

    ReplyDelete