Monday, July 16, 2012

Stop Planning on Doing Things


I am a planner. I love to know what's going on BEFORE I get there, or understanding what is going to be expected of me somewhere down the line, but I think here is where I can learn from my more spontaneous friends. Sometimes we planners are so good at mapping things out on paper - you know, the calendar, the to-do list, and all of the organization that follows - that we are not as skilled at actually doing planned activity. The easiest example is everyone's mad dash to make exercising their new year's resolution. Maybe you'll write down the days of the week that you will work out, and even look up the gym class schedules for Zumba. But all plans fail when they don't get executed. And soon you begin to make excuses - you're hungry, forgot your workout clothes as home, haven't joined a gym, blah blah blah. And the difference between PLANNING and DOING is all about enabling yourself to eliminate those excuses, so that if you consciously decide not to do it, it is because that is what you chose. So, for someone who really wants to work out, well, just keep gym clothes and a granola bar in your car trunk. Then you are consciously deciding to skip the gym each time you drive by and can no longer blame your excuses.

So right now, I am working on those enabling activities that hinder me from doing all the things I plan to do. I'll be the first to admit that I don't like to cook. But that's not the real reason. The real reason is that things don't always turn out perfectly the first time and I am impatient. Well, nothing I can really do to fix the impatience, but what I can do is pick a recipe and follow it from top to bottom. And over time I'll find out what works and what doesn't work. But sometimes as a busy person working it's hard to find the time to cook. And to make the time you need to have the right ingredients. In order to have the right ingredients you need to know what you are making before you go to the store. So, today in fact, I picked out a recipe and bought the stuff I needed. And then I made it (yup, didn't finish until 10pm, but hey one step at a time).  To the left are the ingredients I used: vegetable oil, peanuts, cilantro, ground beef, red pepper, soy sauce, egg noodles (couldn't get rice noodles), onion, bouillon.

And the final dish on the right, was just like  the picture on the recipe. It didn't take 30 minutes like the recipe said (probably took me 1.5 hrs) but I enjoyed the process. I felt good using my hands, and I saved some money by making my own food instead of buying it. Plus, I'm sure it's healthier than any restaurant style of cooking with loads of butter. And I even have leftovers for lunch.

So, this is just one example where I just had to bite the bullet and get things done, because I've been talking about cooking on Sundays FOREVER, and only know I stopped PLANNING to do it and actually did it.

Part of this realization for the need to DO things is also due to the fact that my time here is short (I'm not being morbid, I am actually moving in 3 months or so [most likely]). And I really want to be able to say that I took advantage of where I am while I was here. I am in a great location, near my friends and family, and there are a lot of opportunities to try new things. I don't want to regret not getting to try something when I had the chance.

With the Olympics coming up too, it's a great time to feel motivated. The Nike motto "Just Do It" seems to have even more meaning right now. So other things that I plan to move from Planning to Doing? Well, my writing for sure!! And it's always motivating to get fellow bloggers support - check out my friend here and show her some love. I want to get this fitness regime back on track. I want to read more, get my apartment in tip top shape and minimize (as I've been talking about for years). I finally want to pick up my ukulele, and of course, step up my cooking game. I think we those things I'll be really excited and enabled to do even more things.

So, my challenge to you - pick 1 thing you want to do this week. And then do it. (Tell someone so that you are accountable). It takes 14 days to break a habit I read somewhere. It all starts with 1 step.

2 comments:

  1. This is so me. I have planners and list galore, but sometimes I am too "tired" from planning to go do everything!

    Cooking is definitely intimidating at first, but once you get going it's actually really fun. Or at least to me. There have definitely been some "Oh no's" on my cooking journey, but that just makes it even better when you get it right! Helpful hint: crock pots are amazing, all you do is through things in there, turn it on, and wait. But do make sure to both plug it in and turn it on...otherwise it doesn't work (not that I would make such a mistake myself or anything...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brittany. I managed to make 2 meals in the past 2 days that will get me to Thursday. I'll probably cook again tomorrow. It definitely helps having a plan!!

    Good luck with the "doing" and yes, maybe I will invest in a crock pot. :)

    ReplyDelete