Sunday, March 04, 2012

Low Hanging Fruit

Never go for something just because it's there.

Today's lesson, is about the peach. You see, I don't like peaches. I have never been too fancy for them, and I honestly don't care enough to make it work. There are so many other delicious fruits, that I never really put the energy into discovering all there was about the peach. So I shrugged and went along my merry way. Until the other day, that is. You see, I wasn't even hungry, or maybe I convinced myself I was hungry, but there was no other fruit in sight, or food for that matter, but a damaged peach hanging off a peach tree. It was so close, and the wind was really pushing it further and further down. All I had to do was reach for it; perhaps stand up on my tippy toes and stretch out my arms; but if I wanted to get it I could.

So, why would I even go for the peach, when I don't like to eat peaches? Because somewhere between walking outside and stumbling up to this tree I became convinced that I was hungry, and that this peach would solve my hunger, at least temporarily. And once you convince yourself that you want something that you know you don't really want, it's almost a wrap. It's like going to the store with no intentions of buying anything and seeing that everything is on sale. That my friends, is called temptation. And to make matters worse, you have thoughts from everyone and their cousin telling you that maybe you should give the peach a try. Perhaps you just had a bad peach long time ago and now your taste buds have changed. Maybe if you just go for it you'll end up liking it. What? If I just go for it - you start doubting your own thoughts and wonder what in the world is going on. YOU DON"T EVEN LIKE PEACHES, you keep trying to convince yourself. But soon your stomach is grumbling and verifying that you are indeed hungry, and it doesn't matter if you don't like peaches, it will tide you over until another meal comes along.

And so I got up on my tippy toes and went to grab that stupid peach, because I was hungry and there was food. I reached and reached and reached but the wind would not let up. And alas, I couldn't reach it. I sat down at the foot of the tree and laughed to myself. I didn't want the peach, and I knew it, but I had a weak moment and tried to go for it. And nothing but God, pushed that peach out of my reach.

I sighed a huge sigh of relief. I began to walk away. The peach fell to the ground, but by this time the decision was made. No peach for me!

We all have "peaches" in our lives that we are tempted to take when the going gets tough. Maybe you are on a budget and you keep wanting to buy things you don't need. Or maybe people around you are irking your nerves and you want to do something about it. Maybe, to you, this story really was just about peaches. Whatever it is, we all need to be strong, and when we get a sign that we shouldn't' take the peach, we should stop and listen and take heed. It just wasn't meant to be.

Now, had this been a mango . . . .(kidding)

1 comment:

  1. This speaks volumes to me. Especially since my temptation beacon has been a tad askew in my personal dating decisions. Here is to staving off temptation.

    ReplyDelete