Saturday, November 27, 2010

30 Books Before 30


Maybe I'm crazy. Or maybe I just want to wander a little less aimlessly. As many of you know one of my dreams is to become a well known writer - to someday have a non-technical book published, that people want to read (and not just my friends and family), that somehow inspires at least one person, and that makes everyone examine the everyday items in their life, and slightly chuckle. Well, as I stated in a previous post, the best way to really do something is to study your predecessors. In my case, that means read more. I think we all could use to read more. With school and work, reading for pleasure gets pushed to the back burner. But I must say, I really love it. I love being engrossed in a novel or literary work so much that you don't want to put it down. I love reading books that I later remember so vividly that I thought I had watched the movie.

My most recent favorite has to be The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. Great novel on the conflict of 1st generation-ers - the fine line between assimilation and adaptation. The movie (I hated) does not do it justice. At all.

So, I looked at some lists online and compiled a list of 30 books I want to have read by the age of 30. Some of the books I have read already (in bold), but it's been so long that I don't really remember them all. Many of the books I have not read, and a handful I have started (in italics), but never actually finished. So, I'm taking suggestions for the list - maybe you think I should have something on there that's not, or maybe you would take something off. Then, I'll write about the books that I'm reading, or give summaries for the books that I have read - each in it's individual blog post - it will kinda be like the movie Julie & Julia. Hmm, ok maybe not so exciting, since I can't really blog too much about how my hand turned the page, waiting in anticipation, as to what would happen next.

And if there's a book on there that you also want to read - let me know, and maybe we can read it together. A lot of the classic novels are beyond their copyright and are available free online or through an e-reader. I don't read very fast - so if that was a concern, go ahead and nix it.

One more thing - i have a ton of books that I am currently reading, so I may hold off on starting until the new year, to give me time to finish the books on my list. We'll see. And Any suggestions for where to start? I'm thinking of starting light with The Scarlet Letter.

Here's the list: Comments about the list below
  1. Animal Farm
  2. The Catcher in the Rye
  3. Beloved
  4. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  5. The Great Gatsby
  6. The Grapes of Wrath
  7. Catch 22
  8. Crime and Punishment
  9. War and Peace or One Hundred Years of Solitude
  10. The Scarlet Letter
  11. The Color Purple
  12. Robinson Crusoe
  13. The Prince
  14. Lord of the Flies
  15. 1984
  16. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  17. Madame Bovary
  18. Ulysses
  19. Siddhartha
  20. Uncle Tom's Cabin
  21. Don Quixote
  22. Dracula
  23. The Bible
  24. The Critique of Pure Reason
  25. The Sayings of Confucious
  26. Poems of Emily Dickinson
  27. Beowulf
  28. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
  29. Treasure Island
  30. Gulliver's Travels
So what didn't make the list? There are a ton of wonderful books that didn't make my 30 pick: Metamorphosis (Kafka)- seriously, I could not read past a certain part in the book, when he was describing all of his body parts (man turns cockroach) and how his family wouldn't hug him or welcome him home, I was in disgust, I just had to put it down if I wanted to be able to eat dinner that night. So yeah, that did not make the list. Moby Dick (Melville)- hmm not really sure I want to read that much about a whale - yes I realize that it's about more than a whale. I'm open for persuasion, but so far, no dice. The Souls of Black Folk (DuBois) may be put on, I'd just have to figure out what to take off - I bought it two years ago with every intention of reading it. I love Jane Austen based movies, so I wanted to add either Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility, but because I had seen the movie [Pride and Prejudice], I probably have a good idea of the author's work. And after all this Twilight hype, I had to add Dracula - c'mon Twilight's got nothing on Bram Stoker, lol. The Complete works of William Shakespeare - well in one word WOW - I think it would take a lot to read off of Shakespeare's stuff, plus I've read a handfull of plays in school - Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, Taming of the Shrew, Othello, etc. War and Peace looks very long - not sure if that will stay on the list. What do you think? Worth a read? And some others that did not make the list: A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens) , Jane Eyre (Bronte), The Jungle (Sinclair), Oliver Twist (Dickens) , A Farewell to Arms (Hermingway), etc. And I'm excited about some of the selections on my list - I've heard so much about Madam Bovary, it will be nice to read the book. The Bible has been a goal on my read list forever. I even bought one of those Read the Bible in 365 days books. So, hopefully with adding it to my list it will actually get done (finally). I may have a separate blog for The Bible, since that will take a year in itself - even if you are not Christian, the basis for a lot of Western philosophy (whether people agree or not) does take root in The Bible. And a Spanish novel - with Don Quixote, will be an interesting add to the mix.

So, hear goes nothing - taking suggestions/comments/interesting fluff on my list until Dec 31st !

(Image from http://fineartamerica.com/featured/bookshelf-joni-dipirro.html)

5 comments:

  1. Those are some great books! What an awesome challenge to set for yourself! Good luck and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silkyballa11:15 PM

    Alchemist--Paulo Coehlo

    Way of the Peaceful Warrior--Millman

    The Illiad and the Odyssey--Homer, right? I've always wanted to read the great Greek literatures

    Inferno--Dante

    Random works of Socrates, can't remember their names right now.

    Great interesting list. I'd def like to see a bit more of African/Caribbean authors; so find some and add them.

    Keep me posted which books you're reading, I might read some with you.

    Silkyballa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sphere by Crichton
    Started it and finished it in the same school night/morning because I couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments!! Yes, I do want to get some diversity on the list. I've seen comments about having Nikki Giovanni or Maya Angelou books; or A Raisin in the Sun. I do want to stick to somewhat classics, but will have to incorporate some more, so those may have to be more recent. Keep the comments coming!

    Another book I am reading is Fruit of the Lemon by Andrea Levy, a Jamaican Author, and The Souls of Black Folk by DuBois may need to be added. Crichton looks like a good read, but may be too recent for an American author choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG you have some classics on that list!! I remember we had to read several of them in middle in high school. I on the other hand purchased the movie and/or cliff notes (looks down in shame...lol) I did actually read Animal Farm though. I loved that book.

    This list definitely serves as a reminder that I should read more. I mean I catch up on the later Vogue, Glamour and Cosmo so does that count...lol

    Definitely let us know how you're progressing. I'll be checking on you.

    P.S. You should totally start writing your book now! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete