Saturday, March 04, 2006

Why do we want "it"?

There's a great line from my all-time favorite movie, Brown Sugar, "Why doesn't your heart do what your brain tells it to?" And it's true, why can't we tame our feelings, even feelings that we don't want to have? Why have a crush on someone unattainable/undesirable? Why want food that you are allergic to? Why want to visit places you will never see? It's a paradox. You know that you can't have it, but you still want it. And you can't stop yourself from wanting it, because, regardless of the fact that you know you can't have it, you just want to have it. And you get angry at yourself for thinking of it, when again, you know that you can't have it.

So life is funny. I don't even want "it," (or whatever your "it" may be). I just like the idea of "it" and it's not the best idea to have; and if I ever did get "it" I'd probably be highly dissappointed, but still I want "it." I want to know what it was like to have "it" and then after that I'd be done wanting "it." I wouldn't keep "it" for a long time, just something to cross off on the to-do list.

I'm working on not wanting "it." Easier said than done.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:04 PM

    Yes your right... but sometimes its good to visit places that may not never see in your lifetime because you only live life once and although you might never live in that specific location, theres no reason to stop you from visiting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand where you are coming from. For me, the "it" are certain guys I like, but I know I shouldn't like them-I can't because I know they aren't for me, but yet like you said, sometimes you tell yourself, well, maybe I should persue it? Keep on working on not wanting "it". There are others who are trying to do the same.

    ReplyDelete